Thursday, January 30, 2014

How much do I love my job...

Can I just tell you how much I love my job?!  I feel like I hear so many people complain about their jobs these days.  They hate their job, they hate their coworkers, they hate the time away from their families, they hate the pay.  But I just wanted to take a few and put it out there how much I really do love my job.

I never dreamed of being a massage therapist as a child, I mean, who does? But the opportunity arose, and it turned out to be something I am really good at and I enjoy, (for the most part.)  I love that I can work part time and make close to full time money.  I am able to stay home with AJ most of the time, and still take care of him and the house and cook dinner every night, even if it's in the crock pot.  Yes, he goes to the sitter maybe 10 hours a week, but truthfully, he loves it!  Our sitter is a stay-at-home mom with a boy his age, and they just love each other.  It gives us a good break from each other too, being around anyone 24/7, even my beautiful child, can make anyone want a minute to themselves.  So I like  working a bit every day, and coming home to a smiling child who is crazy happy to see me! It's worth leaving for, to get that super hug and sloppy kisses.

I also just really love my job.  Where I work in particular, not just what I do.  I work for a wonderful spa, it has great energy and is just such a relaxing place to work.  We have a great owner, whom I love working for.  I have to admit, I also really like being the boss.  Like anyone who has ever met me is surprised by that sentence.  Yes, I like being in charge, in control.  I may have a smidge of a control problem.  BUT, I like being in charge because it makes me reign that in a little, I have to be diplomatic and work well with others.  As much as I maybe want to punch people in the face when they make poor choices, I can't do that.  I have to be nice, and explain and train them so it doesn't happen again.  Discipline is not my favorite part of the job of course, but it has to happen.

The other great thing about my job is that I get to do the hiring and training.  I love that part!  I have always enjoyed training, I like showing people how to do thing the right way (my way) lol. Plus, hiring massage therapists means that I get a massage every time I interview someone.  Let me tell you, this is not a job where you can just hire someone who interviews well.  You have to have the touch, as well as good time management and intuition, and the only way to test those is to receive a massage.  So that's definitely a plus.  I've been pretty fortunate to have only had 2 bad interview massages out of about 10.

And can I tell you about the people I work with?! I have an amazing team of leads that I get to work with and I love them!  We get along so well, we seriously have that mutual respect that allows us to all be heard and taken seriously.  My "work wife" Amanda and I are such a great team.  Together we have hired an awesome team of therapists who do us proud, (99% of the time).  Seriously, sometimes it's like working with toddlers, but for the most part they are fantastic.

My job is not perfect of course, but it makes me really happy.  I am sorry for everyone I know who doesn't feel the same about their jobs.  I don't know that this what I want to do for the rest of my life, I'm 31 and I don't know what I want to be when I grow up, but this is great for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment